You want fast results, even if you know clean, nutritious eating is a life-long habit. Here are five ways to upgrade your nutrition today:
1. Go Green. Vegetables, especially leafy greens, are nutritional wunderkinds, which are low in calories, high in fiber and packed with antioxidants. Up your intake by munching on a handful of spinach while you make dinner, replace chips with your sandwich with a handful of baby carrots or drop a cup of kale in your morning smoothie.
2. An Apple A Day. It’s more than a cliché, the fiber in an apple (pectin) makes you feel full and lessens the chances you will cave into a craving. Keep apples on hand for an easy appetite-taming snack, try thin slices instead of jelly on your next PB&J or enjoy one with a handful of walnuts.
3. Stay Home Tonight. Eating at a restaurant is a sure way to over-consume…and not just calories. Prepared foods are loaded in sodium, sugar, and who knows what else in order to stimulate your appetite. Let’s face it, restaurants are in the business of selling as much product as possible, so they want to make it appealing to your taste buds.
4. Drink Up. Water is not only important for hydration, but drinking enough everyday (about half of your body weight in ounces) helps facilitate proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.
5. Sleep More. Insufficient sleep (less than five hours a night) leads to hormonal imbalances and chronic overeating. So, the next time you have a late night craving, try turning off the tv and your phone, and getting some zzz’s.