Good, clean eating is essential to good health and the healthy body you are working to maintain. Yet, there are so many (often contradictory) approaches to eating well you may be ready to throw up your hands and give up. Never! Here are 5 behavior hacks you may not have tried:
1. EAT IN ONE PLACE. When you eat in the same place for most meals you condition yourself to associate hunger with only one spot. If you eat in your car, at your desk, over the sink and in front of the tv, well, then you are bound to eat more.
2. USE SMALLER PLATES. Numerous studies have found you will eat more if you use larger plates, cups and utensils. An easy way to cut down on the amount you eat is to switch to smaller dinnerware. If nothing else, you can't fit as much on your plate.
3. NO MEDIA. Quite simply, watching tv, reading emails or scrolling Twitter will distract you from the tastes, smells and pleasures of the food you're eating. Mindful eating allows you to enjoy your meal, which in turn, lowers the number of calories you unconsciously consume.
4. SKIP DINNER WITH THE FOODIES. If your friends are foodies or junk food junkies or just a bad influence on your dietary choices, schedule non-food activities with them. Your waistline will thank you.
5. PLAY PANTRY POLICE. It's time to raid your pantry and throw out the crap. This one's simple: If you don't have junk food in your house, it is harder to eat too much of it. Sure you can go to the store, but the time delay will help you remember what you really want for yourself.